Make clarified butter.

Clarified butter or as we call it in India-"Ghee", has been a part of my home ever since Maple was born. When we started with solid food for her, my mother used to put in a drop of ghee made by her.
The story of making ghee at home goes way back when I was studying engineering. I happen to visit my roommates home at Mangalore. Jacy's mom is such a warm person, she cooked yummy food for me, and when I left she handed me a bottle of home made ghee (they had cows at home, so milk was bountiful there)
With the arrival of that bottle at my house, my mom saw to it that the bottle was never empty. Every week she would collect the cream from the ilk we used and store it to make clarified butter to add onto the bottle.

However, once we introduced Maple to ghee, she became a huge fan of the flavor it imparts to food. Then she wanted in on her rice, rotis, bread etc etc..

With depleting resource from mom, i was forced to make mine at home.
Here's how I do it from the scratch (For others, simply heat unsalted butter till one get clear oil like ghee):

We buy in 2 liters of  milk every day. After boiling the milk, allow the milk to cool down, a layer of cream will be ready to be collected (if you refrigerate the milk you would get a little more quantity). I collect this cream over week, storing every-days in a container in freezer.

 Once I have sufficient quantity, defrost the cream (thawing it in refrigerator) and add in a spoon full of curd into it once the cream has soften. keep it out in a warm place overnight.


In the morning, simply add a glass full of cold water and churn out the butter using a electrical/hand mixer or food processor. The butter would be formed in say 5-10 min depending on the quality of milk used.
(I wash the butter churned out again with a glass of cold water, in case I want store the butter for baking or any other use)


Simply heat the butter in a heavy bottom pan till clear and the sediments are dark brown in color. Pour it through a strainer once cooled into a clean and dry bottle.





Your home made clarified butter is ready (I pour mine into the my usual ghee bottle and you can see the diff in the color of liquid ghee and the older solid one! : ( sorry for my poor photography skills)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Favorites

Five favorite-{2}

{Pretty Happy Funny Real}